The Johnston Family

The Johnston Family

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Catching Up the Past Couple Weeks....Again.

So New Years day we watched some of the Rose Parade which was way cool, even the kids enjoyed parts of it!  Tony put together a little trampoline we bought months ago online when it was on clearance, and it turned out to be a much nicer one than we thought, so it was an even better deal! The kids LOVED it and expelled tons of energy on it. We took Christmas down and got it stored away for another year, then went up and helped my parents get some of their Christmas down and stored away.  Then we all went out to dinner at Cracker Barrel, on us!  It was a another great, very productive day!  Can I just say I'm not exactly one of those cry or even feel sad when we take Christmas down....by this time I'm ready for it to come down.  And I LOVE how big the living room feels once the tree is gone and all the millions of decoration are taken down....I feel like I have twice the space!  Don't get me wrong I absolutely adore the holiday season I'm just perfectly ready for it to end by January 1st!  Here are some pics of the kids enjoying the little tramp!






They have since had endless hours of fun on that thing! We are LOVING it!!!

The rest of that week was just getting the house back in order (the spring cleaning bug hit us early) we switched the kids toys out and condensed them down(we're now down to just two rotations), and did some cleaning and organizing while the kids played with their new stuff.  We also got out the ball pit which is always tons of fun(and tons of balls everywhere! ;) ) But it allowed us to get done what we wanted to.
Monday the 6th it was back to the grind.  Devin had OT in Bountiful in the morning, and we started school back up that afternoon. Tuesday Devin had Play Project, Wednesday they went to Bravo daycare for "play group" as the kids call it. Thursday Devin and I drove to Magna to FINALLY meet with the behaviorist that we had to reschedule with twice! The evaluation went very well and I loved all her ideas and  programs she want to use with Devin. She really knows her stuff and is the first person we've seen in a while that doesn't seem discouraged by Devin's behavioral issues...for the first time in months I felt some hope that we might be able to make some progress with my little guy!  It's a huge sacrifice both in time and and money(as insurance doesn't cover it) but if she can do what she says she can do with him it will be well worth it because at this point he leaves early intervention at the end of next month his feeding therapist is already out of ideas to help him until his behavior is under control and even his OT has expressed the same feeling of not knowing how else to help him until his behavior is addressed...so we really don't have a choice, he HAS to get his behavior in check and if this behaviorist is up to the challenge then it's what he need to do. At least she didn't look at him and tell me he's hopeless! So there's my positive! That afternoon Elizabeth complained of not feeling well and started acting feverish(meaning she stopped moving) she did indeed have a fever of around 103, so I gave her some Motrin but 4 hours later her temp was up to 104.5, so I went out and got her some Tylenol to give her on top of the Motrin to see if it would help break her fever and bring it down.  We had a fun Wii/pizza party with the scouts. When we put Elizabeth to bed I checked her fever again and it was up to 105 at which point we decided to take her to a 24 hour pediatrician office that's close by, they tested her for the flu and strep and we tried unsuccessfully to get a urine sample to test for a UTI, but nothing came up so we were told to just keep doing what we have been and hope her fever broke soon, which it did the next day.  Saturday we went to Target and found some great clearance stuff including clothes for Devin for next year.  Then we went to Petco and discovered we don't like that store as they didn't have any of the things we were looking for, so we went to Petsmart...and there we saw and fell instantly in love with Becca...an adorable four year old Beagle who was up for adoption.  All voices of reason were gone.  We adopted her brought her home only to find out that she couldn't get along with Shadow(Becca was aggressive towards her, Shadow just wanted to play!) and on top of that Elizabeth and I had strong allergic reactions to her....it was a sad day when we realized we were not going to be able to keep her.  But we had to do what was best for everyone. And that was take her back to the shelter to be adopted by a family who could give her a better home and life.  So we did our best to enjoy the weekend we had with her(as the shelter wasn't open until Tuesday).
Monday the 13th Devin had OT, Tuesday he met with the Behaviorist for his first actual session and spent the first 15 screaming cause I don't go with him...I drop him off at the door so he can't use me as a social or communication crutch.  But after he settled down she reported he did pretty good...so yay!  That afternoon my dad picked up Becca to meet Tony at the shelter to take her back, and was an emotion time for Elizabeth, and Devin took a long nap that day so we didn't make it to piano or tumbling.  Wednesday he had developmental therapy in the afternoon, it was his last visit with her. Thursday he had home OT and she has her own theories for helping Devin center himself sensory wise...it is of course expensive and require him seeing her privately after he leaves early intervention.  So much to contemplate.  I'm beginning to realize I didn't appreciate all early intervention does for Devin until I now have to face him not having it, and having to get all this help for him privately...which is expensive! By this time Elizabeth was full on sick, sniffling sneezing coughing and hacking so we opted to not go and spread our germs at tumbling.  We had scouts that night, which went well even though Tony kinda threw together a lesson last minute. Friday was a low key day, Elizabeth did have a Spanish lesson with my mom.  Yesterday, we visited with my parents, and then after Devin's nap we decided we needed to get out of the house, so we went and wandered some model homes around here.  We really enjoyed it!  We got dinner and a Red Box movie(Despicable Me 2) on the way home.
This past Monday my mom called and told me that my brother was being taken to IMC's ICU via ambulance from LDS hospital because he was in kidney and liver failure.  He only spent one night in the ICU, they've done several tests but are still unsure of what is causing his liver to fail, they believe his kidney trouble is caused by liver failure.  Right now they're hoping that medication will help his liver start functioning on it's own again, but if it doesn't then he's looking at a liver transplant. We are all praying for a swift recovery.  Please keep him and his family in your prayers! I have a strong testimony of the power of prayer and if you follow this blog you should too!  I know that it was the faith and power of the millions of prayers said in my behalf three years ago that enabled me to walk and function again(that and a lot of therapy and good old hard work).  I know if it be the Lord's will our faith and prayers can and will cause miracles to occur for my brother as it did for me, so I pray for him and ask you to do so too!

Here are just some pictures from the past couple weeks, enjoy!
Fun in the ball pit!




 
Devin sittin' on his car playing his "piano"



Elizabeth and Becca the Beagle dog!













No comments: