The Johnston Family

The Johnston Family

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Catching Up To Now

Not a whole lot has been going on in January. I'm doing school again with the kids and we've got into a great routine! The kids wake up and play in the morning until breakfast, then after eating and taking meds, we get dressed. Then Lizzy gets on the computer and does her typing class for My Tech High, while Devin sits with me at the table and I help him through his school. When Lizzy is done with typing she comes to the table and does her daily critical thinking game.(both kids really love them!) Then she gets her daily folder and starts working through(it has all her independent work) while I continue to work with Devin as his pre-k program is much more me involved obviously. Then after Devin finishes with me he goes to the computer and does abc mouse, while I do any instructing needed with Lizzy(like geography, history, science and answer any questions she might have in her independent work folder). Then they play til lunch, which they eat while watching an educational show on Netflix. Then it's quiet/kindle time....my favorite time! Then the kids get 20-30 minutes of free screen time. Then it's play(outside if it's not too freezing) til dinner, after dinner is family time then bed! Lizzy started her theater class back up the second Monday of January. Other than that we pretty much just do what's listed above on repeat each week! And I'm perfectly fine with that! :) Shadow did come down with kennel cough a couple weeks ago so I took her to the vet to get her on an antibiotic. My good friend, and now visiting teacher, Ashley kindly watched my kiddos, then we had a good long chat while our kids played.  Lizzy has also come down with a bit of a cold, we're just waiting for it to run it's course. My mom has taken the kids and I to lunch to Cracker Barrel one Friday. She taught Lizzy to play checkers which she liked! Oh Lizzy had a med check on the 5th, where we didn't change anything with her meds but did discover she's lost 2 1/2 pounds in a month. When her doctor told me I'd need to have her eat more I nearly broke into tears. Getting Lizzy to eat enough is like running a marathon! EXHAUSTING!!! To add to it the Adderall she's on for her ADHD suppresses her appetite! But it's working really well for her symptoms so we really don't want to have to stop using it. I do love Dr. Sandvig though! She is so understanding and sweet! She always tells me what an amazing job I'm doing with the kids and their unique challenges. I don't know that I totally believe it, but it's nice to have her support! This past Friday Devin had a haircut at Cookie Cutters in Bountiful(which is the only place he'll get his hair cut) and after as always we stopped by my grandparents. The kids played in the basement while my grandma and I visited. Jen and Daniel came by the last little bit we were there too!
Yesterday would have been my brother Eric's 34th birthday. So my mom went with the kid's and I to the dollar store to get birthday balloons(and of course we always find other things there too. I love their puzzles, so Lizzy and I each got a couple new ones. I let the kids each pick one toy. Devin picked a little play guitar he's wanted for a while now, and Lizzy was thrilled with her silly putty! Then my mom graciously got us lunch at Arctic Circle where we let the kids play at the play place for quite a while. Then we came home, I packed up the backpack while the kids had like 15 mins of screen time, then we rode with my mom to pick up my dad at his work. He showed us his new office which is very nice and new! Then we picked up a nice floral bouquet my parents ordered, then we had just over an hour to kill, so we took the kids Firefighter Park, where they played the entire time and had a blast despite the cold. Then we drove to the cemetery, and waited for Tony and Jen and Daniel. When we were all there we put the flowers and balloons by Eric's headstone, then went to dinner at Applebees. I so wish we could celebrate with him, but I'm so glad we have each other!
And that pretty much catches ya up with us!

Trying to get a good picture of Devin in his adorable overalls....I have a serious soft spot for kids in overalls!



Putting their balloons by Eric's headstone for his birthday.


The kids had a lot of fun playing in these boxes! They loved pretending to be live jack in the boxes!



Sweet sleepy Devin.

No comments: