The Johnston Family

The Johnston Family

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Anni Gets Shocking News From Her Optometrist

This past Tuesday I followed up with my optometrist. They did an extended field of vision test, then I saw the doctor. he showed me that I'd lost a significant amount of vision in my left eye. It's in the peripheral area so it doesn't affect my direct field of vision. I also have some slight loss in my right eye also in the peripheral area, He thought it must be due to some sort of damage to my eye, so he pulled up the optic pictures I had taken last visit and looked all around my eye for an explanation...the only thing he found was that my optic nerve in my left eye seemed compressed, which concerned him and led him to do tests to rule out what he was sure I was too young to have. Each test proved him wrong though. He checked my vision which was ok. He numbed my eyes and did a more precise test to determine the pressure on my eye balls....that reading was higher than it should have been. Then he tested the thickness of my corneas.....that showed they were thinner than they should be. The results were unbelievable yet undeniable.  He told me over and over how shocked he was and how shocking each result was, but in the end he had no choice but tell me his official diagnosis was Glaucoma. In both eyes, it being worse in my left eye. He said he feels confident that it's controllable, with simple eye drops. I go back next Monday for further testing to pinpoint the severity of my Glaucoma in each eye, and how much of  which drops in each eye will help the most.  To say I didn't share his shock would be a lie, I was dumbfounded, honestly I didn't think it could happen to someone who was only 31. My mom has it and was diagnosed in her 40's I do believe. At the time they just assumed hers was caused by her Graves Disease....but maybe not. Anyway I have it and there's absolutely nothing I can do about that, so I thank God that I live at this time, when it doesn't mean impending blindness sooner rather that much much later if ever. I simply have to put drops in my eyes faithfully for the rest of my life, but for my vision I can definitely do that!

No comments: