The Johnston Family

The Johnston Family

Friday, August 1, 2014

Holbrook Camp at Palisade State Park

A couple weeks ago Devin and Elizabeth had their last club camps, Monday(July 14th) Devin had egg carton art where he made a very fun spider and bug! Tuesday was the kids' classes. Wednesday Elizabeth had her Beethoven Rules club camp, where she really enjoyed learning about Beethoven and listening to some of his music...she even played some on the piano! They were both sad to see their club camps come to an end because they both really enjoyed them! Thursday I did lots of laundry so Friday I could pack us up for our weekend at Palisade State Park! About 4 pm I loaded the kids up in the van with all our stuff then drove to Bountiful to pick up Jen and Daniel, then we drove to Tony's work to pick him up. We drove through at McDonalds for dinner and ate on the way there, my kids and I were in the car for just over 4 hours! We did take a potty/stretch break in Nephi, but it was a long time to be in the car...they handled it like champs...mostly. ;) The new dual screen portable dvd player definitely helped! Elizabeth watched her show and Devin watched his...lifesaver! When we got there we let the kids play outside for about an hour while we visited with my and Tony's parents(who came along for the fun!) Then we put the kids to bed and played a few fun games of Peanuts Uno, then went to bed ourselves. Daniel was up bright and early the next morning about 6:30 and the rest of us followed. But on the bright side all three kids slept soundly through the night! Our kids struggled a bit with attitudes from being woken up before they were ready but the first few hours were the hardest...then it got much better. We gave the kids a first breakfast of dry cereal to tide them over until Tony's parents' delicious cornmeal waffle breakfast was ready. Tony went over just before 8am and reserved us a paddle boat to use all day, so after breakfast we got our swimsuits on and Tony, Jen the kids and I went on a little paddle boat ride. Tony and I peddled while Jen sat in the back with Liz and Daniel and Devin sat between Tony and I where there isn't technically a seat but he fit. Daniel didn't last very long so we dropped him and Jen off after a few minutes then Tony and I took the kids around a while longer, but all the kids wanted to do was get in and play in the water so we paddled back to the dock, got in the van with Jen and Daniel and drove to the beach to play in the lake. We all had so much fun!! We were impressed with how well Devin took to the water! He had a safety tube and arm floaties on but he was swimming all around! Elizabeth didn't want it to end! And even Daniel had fun with Tony! After about an hour it was time to get back for lunch, which we got for the kids then Jen put Daniel down for a nap in my parents' motorhome and we took our kids over to Tony's parents' trailer to watch the Lego Movie(which is one of their favorites right now...they can quote it!) meanwhile my parents, Tony Jen and I snacked for lunch and visited, okay Tony napped the rest of us visited. ;) After lunch my mom kept on eye on Daniel while we went back to the beach with Jen and played in the lake some more. Devin didn't fare as well this time for some reason and was really clingy first to me, let I abandoned him with Tony while Elizabeth and I swam(a good long way)out to a platform dock. We climbed up on it and Elizabeth wanted to jump off but she was only wearing flimsy arm floaties and I didn't trust them to not pop under the pressure of jumping into the water so I told her we'd come back with her life vest and jump off later. She agreed and we swam back to Tony, Jen and Devin, we played for a while longer then went back to take another ride in the paddle boat. We took the boat over to the platform dock and Elizabeth and Tony got off and she jumped off as she wanted to before. Then we paddled to another beach area to play but when I jumped in I found it was a very deep yucky mud area so I (very ungracefully) climbed back onto the boat and we went back to the area we were at before. Elizabeth and I jumped off the boat to play and swim some more. Before we got to the yucky muddy place Devin actually fell asleep! He looked so stinkin' adorable!! Tony and Jen took sleeping Devin back to the dock then Tony dropped Jen off with our towels to play and swim with Elizabeth and I for a bit longer as Devin was done and Tony needed to start on the dutch oven dinner. Jen, Elizabeth and I swam back to the platform dock where Liz jumped off over and over and over again, while Jen and I rested on the platform...it really was a good long swim to it! Then after she had her fill of jumping off(with her life jacket) we all swam back and played for another good hour or more! Elizabeth played this game where she would try to get to Jen but I'd catch her and throw her...she loved it!! She was being such a cutie! She was cracking Jen and I up! It was lots of fun!! I finally got her out of the water because she had to go potty and when we got back my dad was there to take us back for dinner...which was wonderful! After Tony's parents turned on their propane campfire and we roasted marshmallows and made smores per Elizabeth's request! Then we put the kids to bed and played a fun new game my mom had, visited for a bit then went to bed ourselves. Sunday after Tony cooked breakfast the kids played for quite a while, then my mom got bubbles out, and a fun flying disc toy the kids love, then Tony and my dad set up their frisbee golf game and the kids played with that for a while. Then she brought out a fun sticker art thing that the kids thoroughly enjoyed! Tony's parents started loading up after breakfast as they had a wedding to get to and they left before lunch. We left shortly after lunch and my parents left shortly after us. All three kids slept on the way home, though Elizabeth only for about a half hour or so, but the boys slept for nearly two hours! We dropped Jen and Daniel off then headed home. We bathed the kids unloaded the car and had a dinner, Tony BBQ'd hamburgers. And that was our funtastic weekend!

Here are the pictures!




























   

No comments: